New teacher profile: Gianna Craig

By Patricia dePalma

This semester, Branson welcomed a new teacher, Gianna Craig. She is currently teaching two classes of English II for the ABC rotation and will teach two sections of the Graphic Narrative elective in the DEF rotation.

“I love to learn new things, and teaching is one of the best ways I have found to continue to do that,” Craig said. “I learn so much with and from the students I work with, and that is why I decided to apply to become a teacher at Branson. I am happy to be in a new place working in a community that is new to me after a year of mostly working from home.”

For her undergraduate degree, she attended Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington, where she received a B.A. in English and a minor in history. She then studied at the University of Washington in Seattle for her graduate studies. She has a master of arts and was admitted to Ph.D. candidacy in English Literature and Culture.

Craig previously taught outdoor and environmental education in Washington during and after college. Later on, she began her teaching career.

I started my classroom teaching career with expository writing and literature classes at UW while I pursued graduate studies,” she said. “After UW, I taught at community colleges, Interlake High School in Bellevue, Washington, and most recently at The Northwest School in Seattle, Washington.”

She is new to the area, arriving from Seattle at the beginning of the first semester. 

“I am new to the area and love to go on hikes and listen to podcasts,” Craig said, “If you see me around campus and have any hiking or podcast recommendations, please say hello and share your recommendations with me!”