Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Spotlight: Clubs at Branson

Abby Keenley ’22
At the school’s club fair, students browse various booths. The annual event is an opportunity for students to learn about extracurricular activities available on campus.

From fly fishing to film-watching, and coding to kazoos, Branson’s extracurricular organizations are as diverse as the confections crafted by the Baking Club. Students will have the opportunity to peruse their options at the annual clubs fair on Wednesday, Sept. 13 during clubs block.

Branson clubs of all stripes are no strangers to making a splash. Who could forget the Kazoo Club tooting out the national anthem at FAB? For reasons that remain mystifying, particularly to Kazoo Club leaders Julia Bouligny ‘25 and Rebecca Rudy ‘25, membership last year was oddly low. However, as Bouligny wrote in a March 14 email detailing the “disappointing news” that “none of you have been coming to Kazoo Club,” there is “still time to make up for your mistakes.” This year, the door to Kazoo Club — and opportunity for atonement — remains open to new members.

For Branson students less inclined toward the symphonic buzzing of everyone’s favorite plastic wind instrument, the Best Buddies Club facilitates friendships between people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and Branson students. Branson Best Buddies involves having lunch, playing sports, coaching and mentoring students with autism and other developmental differences. 

Best Buddies co-leader Audrey Knowles ‘24 said the relationship she has formed with her Best Buddy drives her to be a better person.

“I really want others at Branson to get to experience these relationships,” she said. “It goes so far beyond just a community service opportunity. People love Best Buddies, mainly because of our fun and upbeat attitude. Everyone has a blast every time they come.” 

For Knowles and her fellow club members, their Best Buddies truly are some of their best buddies. 

“Everyone involved gets to form lifelong memories and make so many new friends,” Knowles said. “I’ve become friends with so many of the Best Buddies students.”

Looking for a fun way to get a break from homework and classes? Branson’s Baking Club is returning this year as the Baking and Cooking Club — the ultimate club for honing your culinary skills, eating tasty food and hanging out with friends during your free time.

According to club leaders Kaia Hayes ‘24 and Sadie Winter ‘26, the Baking and Cooking Club has “many cool activities in store” for the forthcoming school year. 

“Last year the club was centered on making desserts and sweet treats, but this year we’re also going to be incorporating savory dishes,” Winter said. “We’ve recently acquired some more equipment which allows us to make a wider variety of treats. Some possible activities include making chocolate chip cookies, chips and guac, and more.” 

To add to the mix, the Baking and Cooking Club is a fun way to earn some community engagement hours. In collaboration with other Branson clubs, such as the Queer-Straight Alliance and the Environmental Action Club, the Baking and Cooking Club hosts several fundraisers over the school year. You can participate by whipping up a special treat or simply working the stand, and in the process fulfill some of your support hours!

“Our club is a space that doesn’t require prior knowledge or experience, and is open to all skill levels,” Hayes said “The Baking and Cooking Club is a group that brings the Branson community together through delicious food, which is a perfect place for ninth-graders to meet people of all grade levels and have a good time making mug cakes and cookie dough.” 

Branson clubs take on a multitude of forms; some are lighthearted, while others attempt to tackle serious problems. But they all share a goal of having fun, trying new things, and welcoming everyone.

Joining a club is far from the sole option for Branson students, who are encouraged to create their own clubs rooted in their specific interests. Clubs often pick up where classes leave off, giving students a chance to design their own curricula and areas to explore. Last year, a group of three ninth-graders, Zachary Cummins, Nyanza Ngongoseke and Grant Kruttschnitt, created Branson’s Coding Club, providing a forum to teach students to code and participate in coding competitions. “All skill levels are welcome,” the founders wrote in an all-school email. 

At Branson, clubs are like small parties you always have an invite to attend. While it can be understandably intimidating for underclassmen to take the initiative to join a new group, ninth-graders are not only active participants in Branson clubs, but also founders who have channeled their own interests into creating communities.