Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Trade block: Fantasy football week one breakdown

Players you should buy, hold, and sell after week 1
ryd

After week one, a lot of people might be overreacting to certain things. Take advantage of this with your leaguemates and capitalize on these players’ value while you still can. 

Buy: Jahmyr Gibbs

After being hyped up all off-season as a rookie, Gibbs’ usage in week one was slightly underwhelming, as he got only eight touches compared to teammate David Montgomery’s 21. However, Lions head coach Dan Campbell warned us of this, saying Gibbs would be eased into the offense. When he did get the ball, Gibbs looked really good, breaking tackles and showing off the elite contact balance and speed that made him the 12th overall pick in the NFL draft. He looked way better than Montgomery and should get more work as the season progresses. Try taking advantage of panicked managers by trading for him. Current value: RB11. 

Hold: Giants players

The Giants put up an absolute stinker of a game last weekend, losing 40-0 to the Cowboys. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. This led to Giants players who are usually fantasy assets, such as Saquon Barkley and Darren Waller, to put up low scoring games. While a game like this could be a troubling sign, I would wait to panic on them until we see a little bit more. The Cowboys defense is one of the best in the league, and this could just be a one time slip-up. If the offense is still struggling in week 4-5, sell them then, but until we get a better sense, hold them and hope for offensive improvement, which under offensive wizard Brian Daboll, is very likely. 

Sell: Brandon Aiyuk

Aiyuk put up monster numbers last week, scoring 32.9 PPR points en route to a WR2 overall finish. However, he only saw 8 targets (granted he caught all of them), which is not enough to sustain this high level of production. While he is a great player, there are too many mouths to feed on his offense and he won’t get the weekly volume needed to be a top-15 WR, which he is being valued as now. Sell him and look for other WR2s who will get more volume, like DeAndre Hopkins.