Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Bulls football turns new chapter with coaching change

New head coach Jerome Saddler has taken the Bulls in a new direction for the 2023 season.
Cooper Tenney
Coach Jerome Saddler, Brason’s Gallard Fellow. Saddler began coaching Branson football this August.

Since the formation of the schools’ eight-man football program in 2016, Branson has dominated the scene, racking up NCS titles as recent as last year, and consistently beating teams by multiple scores. 

However, after last season, head coach Max Pond left to take a job at Sonoma High School, and the team graduated several key starters, leaving the program to go in a whole new direction.

New head coach Jerome Saddler will have his hands full in an era of change for Branson football. After Pond’s departure, Branson struggled to find a new coach, and Saddler, Branson’s Gallard Fellow, was thrust into the role at the last minute. 

“I had to step up to the plate and take on the challenge,” he said.

Saddler only had three weeks to get his team ready for their opening game against Fresno Christian, one of the top teams in the state. The Bulls’ new head coach, who hadn’t coached a level higher than Pop Warner (youth football), knew he had work to do.

“I reached out to one of my good friends … who gave me a lot of pointers. I did a lot of extensive research on YouTube and Google to get myself back into football as a coach and not a fan. I had to refresh my brain on how it happens on the back end of sports, not just the front end.” Saddler said. 

Saddler also inherited Pond’s complex offense, and met with him for four hours to discuss it. 

“[The playbook] is very intricate, and there is a lot going on in the offense … I felt like I was in a calculus course,” he said. 

Running a foreign playbook can be challenging, so it was no surprise when Saddler brought in a new assistant to change the offensive scheme entirely. In their first game with the new offense, the Bulls put up 54 points en route to their first win of the season. 

“Instead of having one play call and everyone doing that, it’s more of what I say in the huddle that they’re going to do. It’s a lot about adjusting in game, and that’s what our coach is really good at.” said quarterback Tom Lardner. 

After three-year starter George Gale graduated, Lardner was named the starting quarterback despite mainly playing running back and receiver last season. 

“The biggest change is being aware and knowing what every position is doing, it’s a brand new way to play football. I’m adjusting. The first game was a bit of a shock.” said Lardner. 

Despite some growing pains, Lardner has embraced the role and is becoming accustomed to his role on the team, both in the offensive huddle and during practice. 

“As a quarterback you have to be a leader of the team … There are a lot of underclassmen on the team, you have to push them to know the play calls when they come.” said Lardner. 

Running back Jaden Sher can help take the load off of Lardner’s shoulders. The explosive playmaker is only one move away from taking it to the house with the ball in his hands. Historically, the Bulls have operated with a running back-by-committee, but now Sher finds the backfield all to himself.

“I’ve definitely had a higher target share this year … it’s been fun, honestly.” said Sher. 

Sher has stepped up this year, averaging 130 yards in the first three games. He and receiver Callahan Green ‘24 headline a potent skill position group. 

On the defensive side of the ball, Saddler is bringing his man coverage style to Branson.

“It’s a great honor to play man coverage in defense, and when your corners and safeties can lock down on the back end, your front seven can do whatever you want.” Saddler said. 

According to Saddler, playing man coverage allows him the freedom to either drop his linebackers into coverage or blitz them to aid with pass rush to allow them to make plays. 

Saddler also highlighted the emphasis he puts on conditioning to get his defense ready to play. 

“I take great pride in working with my secondary and linebackers and getting them physically ready to cover ground,” said Saddler.