Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Tom Ryan field renovation met with approval

Luke Vilhauer
Andrew Murr gets ready to make a play against the run. The Bulls stifled Calistoga’s run game on Sept. 30.

Over the summer, Branson unveiled turf renovation on Tom Ryan Field and the Quad. Getting rid of slipperiness and increasing safety and athletic performance could be a game-changer for the 2023-24 athletic season.

Branson completed a turf renovation over the summer. With the installation of cutting-edge technology and environmentally-conscious materials, the school aimed to redefine the athletic experience for its students. 

As Branson unveiled its new turf on Tom Ryan Field, the consensus is clear — safety, comfort, and performance have taken center stage. 

Associate Director of Athletics Tyler Gottschalk, who is also the head coach for girls varsity soccer, described how the new turf fiber is “longer and thicker than the old turf” and the fill that used to just be sand is now “a mixture of sand and coconut fibers.”

Director of Athletics Frances Dillon said her priority at Branson is to provide the best athletic experience possible and one of the ways is by safety.

“It was a much-needed repair, just for safety … Students were sliding on the old turf, due to it being so thin, and students no matter how good their shows were were still sliding,” she said. 

Branson has made some environmentally friendly choices when redoing the turf. Instead of choosing rubber for the fill, which Dillon noticed to be very comfortable while scouting other fields, Branson decided on organic sand and coconut, which is more the more “environmentally conscious choice.”

This has sparked a variety of opinions among Branson student-athletes. 

Jaden Sher ‘24, who is on the soccer and football teams, broke his arm on the old turf surface. Sher was running on the field and after trying to make a cut to the side, he slipped on the turf and came crashing down onto his wrist. 

“I like how this new field is softer, more comfortable, and has more grip, you don’t have guys slipping and potentially injuring themselves. This new field definitely feels more safe,” Sher said. “I didn’t like the old field because it was rock hard and you had guys injuring themselves, like Cal who injured his foot by just running on it and I injured my arm from slipping.”  

However, not every student sees the benefits of the new field. 

Mo Jacoby ‘25 plays varsity football. In his first two years at Branson, he had no prior injuries due to Branson’s field. 

“I like this new field because it’s easier to cut and not slip and when you fall, it doesn’t hurt as much,” he said. “Based on my own opinion and the opinion of Amanda, the athletic trainer, this new turf is causing Achilles pain that has forced me to step out of some practices and even play for a limited time.”

The new turf has declined injuries so far in the 2023-24 school year, and Branson has made it clear that a safe and environmentally friendly field is what matters.

“I am super excited; it was a great investment for our athletic program and it creates a great experience,” Dillon said.