Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Rock Band, a safe haven from Branson students’ stressful lives

Students find solace in the rock band class and share their love of music.
    Olivia Ritter
    Cyrus Allen ‘25, plays the drums. Allen and the band have been building their repertoire for their first performance.

Every Branson Rock Band class starts with each student ranking their mood on a scale of one to 10. Claps, hoots and hollers greet every 10, and for every low number, teacher Jaimeo Brown tasks each student with raising that number before the end of class.

Brown said this practice “started from me being so curious about how everybody is doing. I love to know how everybody is doing at the beginning of class, because it will change how I teach … Music, and music class, should be used to bring up people’s spirits.” 

Rock Band has become a safe haven for its members. Cyrus Allen ‘25 said it has been a vital practice for him. Ella Loiacono ‘24 described the class as “better than a free block.” In fact, she wished that “every free block was Rock Band.”

Loiacono described the class’ tradition of playing tambourines, box drums or dancing while other students perform. 

Music saved my life, and if it wasn’t for music, I would have never discovered my fullest potential as a person

— Jaimeo Brown

“If you’re not performing, grab a tambourine,” she said. “Everyone contributes to the music even if they’re not performing.” 

That tradition was evident in their show last spring. While smaller segments of the class took turns performing, every other member was either dancing, playing a tambourine or clapping along. 

Brown said that the class “not only teaches you about music, but how to work as a team and put on performances that can lift up the community.”

“I love music because music saved my life, and if it wasn’t for music, I would have never discovered my fullest potential as a person,” he said. “Because I was more introverted, it helped me learn to express myself more. It gave me self-confidence and a reason to do my best. I love teaching because I am able to help students learn how to do that. My love for teaching comes from my desire to inspire people, and show that music is a tool that can heal you, lift up your spirit, and can bring people together.”