Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Girls volleyball sweeps MCAL championship

The Branson girls volleyball team swept Redwood 3-0 to bring home the MCAL championship for the second year in a row, solidifying their squad as a dominant force heading into NCS Div II playoffs.

“I feel like we were very prepared, we were extra motivated and focused in practice all week,” Branson’s outside hitter Elena Fisher said. “Our schemes and gameplan were great, and they’re a big reason why we came out so strong.”

Branson executed everything in the first set, starting the match 17-4. From tough serves to impressive digs and kills, even when it seemed like Redwood could steal a point, Branson had an answer for almost every rally, topping off the set 25-8.

“We played with such grit and hunger to win. As a unit, I think we just wanted it more,” said Sadie Snipes, outside hitter for Branson. “We weren’t satisfied with just winning the MCAL last year. Each game we come out with a go-get-it attitude, especially in big games like these.”

Branson’s mastery only continued into the second set, where they quickly established a 7-1 lead. Abby King ‘27 was particularly impressive, adding several kills and blocks on this run that led to a 25-15 set victory.

“Abby has been great for us all year. To step up in a huge game like that as a freshman is super impressive,” Branson setter Logan Tusher said. “There was a big crowd, and it’s hard to block out all the distractions, so for her to play like that was great.”

Redwood showed signs of life to begin the 3rd set, initially leading 5-2. Despite having the momentum, the Bulls responded with a 5-0 run and never looked back. Branson ended the game with a 25-14 set victory.

“There was a rush of excitement once that final point was called,” Snipes said. “Seeing our crowd rush the floor was something I’ll never forget.”

Branson is not new to winning. Last season, they found success with a record of 23-10, winning not only the MCAL championship but also the NCS Division III and Division I state championships. This year’s victory, however, holds a special significance.

“This game was definitely special. The support from our school was unmatched,” Tusher said. “The crowd really brought so much energy, after every point they were going crazy. With all the support, we felt like we owed it to them to win.”

Branson looks to continue their success as they gear up for the NCS Division II playoffs. They are expected to draw the top seed. Redwood also has a chance for redemption, as they anticipate receiving a high seed as well.

“We can’t be satisfied with tonight,” Fisher said. “We have a lot more games ahead of us, and it’s only going to get tougher.”