Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Girls’ golf team secures back-to-back MCAL championships; clinches NCS D II title

Branson’s girl’s golf team wrapped up another successful season, winning back-to-back Marin County Athletic League championships and avenging their 2022 second-place D-2 North Coast Section finish with a title this year.

On October 16, 2023, Branson claimed the MCAL title shooting 325 while rival Marin Catholic took 390. Elizabeth Liu ‘25 scored the lowest, shooting 72, leading her to the MCAL Player of the Year title. 

Just one week later, Branson earned the NCS D-2 Championship handily beating Cardinal Newman and Miramonte by 39 and 55 strokes, respectively. Senior captains Anna Han ‘24, and Aimee Yang ‘24, and will continue on to the NCS D-1 Individual Championships, along with the leading member of the pack, Liu. 

But the road to victory was not as easy as the scorebook suggests. 

“We have never had the same coach consecutively in my four years at Branson,” said Yang. “It was really stressful because we didn’t have a coach until two days before practice started, and I was very worried for our team because without a coach, we wouldn’t get to compete this season.”

Even when faced with adversity, the team still found a way to accomplish their goals. 

“Even though golf is an individual sport and you may think each person does their own thing, every person on our teams supports each other and players of different skill levels help each other out,” said Han. 

The team only has eight members, which is smaller than the teams of their local counterparts. Six players are required to compete and the top four scores are combined and compared to the other team. The team that takes the fewest strokes wins.

“The small team size forces everyone to be friends, which is a really good thing because we can communicate [our knowledge and experience] to the underclassmen,” said Yang.