Branson School News, Sports, Life and Opinion

The Blazer

Branson’s student-run newspaper

The Blazer

The Blazer

Branson alum Mike Froman reflects on his governmental work

Caroline Jordan
    Mike Froman ’80 speaks during a Dec. 14 assembly. Froman worked alongside President Barack Obama during his presidency.

On Thursday morning, Dec. 14, in an extended special assembly, Branson welcomed back Michael Froman ’80, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Froman talked about his life story, specifically the career path leading him to where he is today, guiding the Branson community to have a positive outlook on life even in the most challenging times.

“Life is what serves up when the plane falls apart,” said Froman.

Froman received his doctorate from Oxford University. He later returned to the United States and attended Harvard Law School, where he studied alongside Barack Obama. Soon after, he began working in the White House and eventually served as the U.S. Trade Representative during the second half of Obama’s presidency.

Froman said that his job was “fundamentally about empathy and [understanding] where the people across the table are coming from.”

Following Froman’s comment about the mentors and advisors that supported him throughout college and graduate school, Whitney Livermore, the dean of student life, asked him to offer advice to the students on building those kinds of relationships at Branson and in college.

“Don’t be shy to identify or seek mentors because people who are successful in their careers love giving advice and support,” Froman said.

As for politically interested Branson students, Froman advised them to start working on campaigns, volunteering, and advocating for organizations covering topics they are passionate about.

Froman then reflected on what he believed he got out of his time at Branson.

“[Branson] taught me how to write, it taught me critical thinking, and it taught me collaboration. And those skills are great for whatever career you go into.”

Lily Green ‘27 commented on the assembly.

“I’ve never seen that many questions in an assembly before,” she said. “Clearly, everyone was very interested and intrigued by the speaker.”

Froman, at the end of his speech, gave the audience moral advice by quoting something his young son had said: “Not everyone wants peace.”